Cell phones are specifically designed for seniors so they can stay connected to their friends and family members. They can also stay in touch with their primary care physician with the help of phones.
Cell phones for senior:
About eighty percent of seniors are using cell phones these days. If they use cellular devices it allows them to call and text from anywhere. A cell phone can also allow them to save their important contacts and blackout any unnecessary calls. Devices have features of alarms and reminders that remind them about their medication and appointments. Always check out for your specific need for buying a cell phone or any plan. Common uses of cell phones are:
- Sending and receiving text messages
- Checking the time
- Paying bills
- Talking on the phone
- Emergency call to your healthcare provider
- Taking videos and photos
- Checking emails
- Browsing the internet
- Video chatting on apps such as Zoom and FaceTime
- Setting reminders for medications
- Setting reminders for doctor’s appointment
- GPS application for navigating traffic and finding specific addresses
- Controlling smart home devices such as televisions, doorbells, and thermostats
- Connecting to the medical alarm system.
- Checking the weather forecast
- Checking for daily news updates
- Watching movies on NETFLIX or YOUTUBE.
- Playing video games to entertain yourself
Types of senior cell phones to consider (1)
Cell phones are available in different sizes and shapes with different purposes. Have a closer look at the types of senior cell phones.
Flip phone reveals a SMALL SCREEN and KEYBOARD when they get opened and closed on the hinge. These phones come in simple designs and are easy to use. These phones have longer battery life. This type of phone is ideal for seniors who just want to make calls, text messages, and take some photos. These phones can also get connected to the network but due to their size of the small screen, they cause problems while browsing or watching.
Block or slider phones
They are similar to flip phones in function but they don’t have a feature of flip. This phone is ideal for those having concerns with dexterity. Block phones have a screen and keyboard. Slider phones have a larger screen than a block and flip phones and upon sliding, it reveals a keyboard to use. This keyboard is larger than other phones that make it a good choice for seniors with vision problem.
These phones have a large touchscreen display that allows you to make a call, text SMS, access the internet, and watch movies and videos. These are larger devices that allow you to make text bigger or smaller according to your eyesight and are best for those with less dexterity. The smartphone allows you to everything you can do with a computer. Smartphones allow seniors to make video calls so they can stay connected to their friends and family members. Apps are already installed in smartphones for medical alarm systems. Different kinds of smartphones are available with different designs and capabilities. Two main categories of smartphones are introduced- Apple and Android. It is necessary to look for different advantages and disadvantages before you buy a smartphone.
Pros and cons of senior cell phone plan:
Pros of block and flip phones:
- Small and easy to carry
- Easy to use
- It can store important contact numbers
Cons of block and flip phones
- They have limited access to the internet
- They have Low-definition cameras
- No option available for video calling
- They have limited access to the internet
Pros of smartphones:
- They provide easy access to talk, text, and video call
- They provide access to social media
- Compatibility of the smart home.
- Hearing aid compatible
- It can be synchronized with medical devices
- Calendar notification and reminders
- Option of app store allows you to install COGNITIVE DEVELOPMENT GAMES
- Voice assistance capability
Cons of smartphones
- They are costly as compare to flip phones
- Data plans are required usually
- Steeper learning curve
Features of best cell phone for seniors
- Larger buttons and screen
- Internet access
- Simple menus
- Higher volume options
- Voice typing and voiceover features
- Magnifying cameras
- Alert alarms and timers
- Emergency functions
- GPS location
- Fitness and health tools
- Fingerprint or face recognition
Best cell phone plans for seniors (2)
Here are the best cell phone plans for seniors:
- Plans can be customized as per need
- No activation or contract fee
- It is usually known for the best cost
- Plans are flexible that easy to mix and match
- Customize your talk, text, and data
- Prices of plans are cheap
- The price of this plan is 30 dollars per month
- Data overage may be costly
- Network coverage is spotty.
- It is known for best-unlimited plans
- Feature plans are great for families
- Great network coverage
- Unlimited talk, data, and text with international benefits
- 4G LTE data
- Support for international calls and messaging in over 135 countries
- Taxes and fees are included in the plan
- The price of this plan is $50 per month
- The price of a single line is expensive than other senior plans.
- It is best for health features
- It prioritizes senior’s health and safety
- The package includes medical alerts and ride-share service
- 24/7 access to medical alert agents
- Access to doctors and nurses
- Personal operator available that help you with tasks
- The app is available on the phone that allows your close friends and family members updated about your health
- Medical apps help you to manage your medicine and health
- The price of this plan is $59.99 per month
- Usually, smartphones are not compatible with plans
- Most plans are voice only, text and data are charged separately
- It is known for its best network
- It provides the best coverage and major discount for seniors
- Unlimited data and others at a big discount
- It is the best network in the UNITED STATES.
- The price of this plan is $60 per month
- Anyone above 55 can take advantage of this plan
- Provide 3G, 4G, and 5G coverage in the U.S.
- Unlimited mobile hotspot
- The plan is available in MEXICO and CANADA.
- Senior plan available to FLORIDA only